American Heritage Grant-Lincoln Sycamore Limited Ballpoint Pen
This authentic Civil War relic is handcrafted in the actual wood from the Sycamore tree next to Grant’s headquarters at City Point, VA that shaded both Gen. Grant and President Lincoln during the Seige of Petersburg. Each pen is meticulously turned and polished by hand for a lasting collectible you’ll be proud to carry. City Point served as the command and supply center during the ten month siege of Petersburg, VA. Petersburg, with its railway network, was the key to the capture of the confederate capital in Richmond, VA. After several unsuccessful direct assaults of Petersburg, General Grant started the longest siege in American warfare. The simple log cabin that served as Grant’s headquarters was built in Dec of 1864. Grant’s cabin had only two rooms, a front office and a small apartment for his wife and son. The grounds were on Appomattox manor owned by Dr, Richard Eppes. Dr. Eppes owned about 130 slaves on his 2,300 acre estate. Many of the slaves gaining their freedom in 1862 when Union troops temporarily landed at City Point. On March 24, 1865 President Lincoln, along with his wife Mary and son Tad, arrived at City Point aboard the riverboat River Queen. Lincoln wanted to be near the battlefield so near the end of the bloody Civil War and away from the pressures of Washington. While at city Point, Lincoln met with both Generals Grant and Sherman, along with visiting the battlefield and troops. Aboard the River Queen Lincoln outlined his vision for liberal and honorable terms of surrender, along with his goals or the healing of a divided nation.
Pen Size: 5 1/8 x 1 1/2
American Heritage Grant-Lincoln Sycamore Limited Ballpoint Pen Features
- Hand crafted from actual wood from a Sycamore tree next to Grant's headquarters
- Meticulously turned and polished
- Lasting collectible pen
- Pen Size is 5-1/8 x 1-1/2 inches